Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Woo-hoo: the origin myth

Woo-hoo, woo hoo, blah-blah. Worse than hearing people say this is seeing it in written form in e-mail and at websites, usually complete with multiple exclamation points. Does this come from a television show? Or where? Does anybody know? Here's someone who has counted the increasingly frequent use of this pre-sentential exclamation as noted in the number of results produced by a search-engine. He speculates that the expression owes its popularity to The Simpsons.

5 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, May 20, 2009, Blogger Mary S said...

THANKS for expressing my sentiments. I am a bit of a wordsmith, and I am bugged by the overuse of expressions. I wonder if Woo Hoo will make it to the Lake Superior College list of words that should be banned. I always say when someone says "awesome" about some trivial thing unworthy of the expressing that I usually reserve that word for things like God and trees and landscapes.

 
At 7:37 PM, October 17, 2016, Blogger alabhaois said...

"Woo hoo" drives me absolutely crazy. I thought I heard it first in a TV commercial but I'm not really positive. Whatever the origin, I wish it would just go back!!

 
At 12:40 PM, January 15, 2018, Blogger WooHoo said...

Don’t you mean”WooHoo” for expressing your sentiments?

 
At 4:56 PM, May 13, 2018, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 4:59 PM, May 13, 2018, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first heard "woo hoo" on the TV program Babylon 5. A bald-headed alien said it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home