Tuesday, March 05, 2002

The Escapist Reading Festival continues. Having just finished "The Devil Went Down to Austin," I can say that there is no Austin atmosphere in it. The e-mails at intervals throughout are the best of the book. We were talking about the Fillmore East. Each of remembered different shows. Ones we agreed on were Sly and the Family Stone (perhaps several times), Country Joe and the Fish, Canned Heat, Clarence Carter, Wilbert Harrison, The Ike and Tina Turner Show, Joy of Cooking, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Sam and Dave, Three Dog Night. I'm pretty certain we heard Ian and Sylvia. K. thinks we heard Creedence Clearwater before they were big. K. thinks that Three Dog Night was booed, but I don't remember that. We think we heard It's a Beautiful Day. We both think we heard the Youngbloods. I remember Albert King. I remember Santana and Sha-Na-Na. SNN were not very good. K. thinks we heard the Jefferson Airplane. I remember the Steve Miller Band. I think we heard Delaney and Bonnie. Even though it was free to get in, there was a lot of standing outside in the bitter cold to reach the door. Everyone who's ever done that knows that heading for the restroom line is on your mind afterwards--it's the cold, so I probably missed entire acts by having to inch my way up to the mezzanine. We had to sit through a lot of stupid light shows, as I recall. I wonder whether we have any programs stored away anywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home