Thursday, March 06, 2003

Recently I saw an image of a Zurbaran painting of Saint Casilda. This name Casilda is familiar only from the novela Amigas y rivales, but it turns out that this saint is a legendary figure of Moorish Toledo and is associated with good luck. A Google for Casilda found a Casilda paper doll, based on a real three-dimensional doll, German and from the first decade of the twentieth century. There's also a character named Casilda, daughter of the Duke of Plaza-Toros, in Gilbert and Sullivan's Gondoliers. I've never seen a real Zurbaran and the first time I ever heard of this painter was when I bought a post card of his Santa Lucia, which for some reason has usually been on my desk ever since. A close look reveals the eyeballs that she is carrying. Maybe it's because I've had such trouble with vision that I'm interested in Saint Lucy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home