Monday, June 09, 2003

WeedVision


There is a certain time of day, in the morning, after sunrise but before the sun is doing more than casting a reflected rosy light, when shades of green, in all their subtle differences, can easily be distinguished one from another. At least by me. At the distance from my eyes to my feet, I can see every tiny little plantlet that I don't want to be there. All the new people in the neighborhood do things like hire arborists, formerly known as tree guys. For some reason I have a mental block about this and keep wanting to call them foresters. At any rate, no matter what else they advise, they always counsel beginning some kind of fertilization program. So now trees that have barely been staying alive themselves are beinning to return to top reproductive form all over the neighborhood. This year it's some kind of elm tree, something with a very long tap root already even though there aren't more than the original two leaves to be seen. Since the ground's still holding some moisture after that rain, it's possible to get quite a bit of this work done before breakfast. I did look up to see the first whitewinged dove in our yard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home