Friday, April 16, 2004

The movie is creepy

The Wizard of Oz is not a movie that I've ever watched straight through. Thanks to associating with those who like it, I've been forced to watch chunks of it and so have probably seen it in its entirety. All the songs are known by heart, because we all had to take lessons at the Emma Rose Flynn School of the Dance and that was the show we did one of those years. The songs aren't creepy. I would have said that I'd never read any of the books, but that turns out not to be true. For some reason, the Alison Lurie home page doesn't list a book recently borrowed from the library, Boys and Girls forever: Children's Classics from Cinderella to Harry Potter. Because the front matter said that most of the chapters had been previously published in NYTBR or the NYRB, I wasn't inclined to read it but it turned out that in this book they're in much-altered form. The chapter on the Oz books made me realize that in fact I must have read nearly all, if not all, of them, because I could picture every obscure character as illustrated. They must have been at the house down the hill, where we stopped in afternoons after school, and where I do remember having read some Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy books, as well as one about Little Mandy. In one of the chapters, Lurie writes about Walter de la Mare. Paul Dry Books is reprinting Memoirs of a Midget, as well as His Monkey Wife (John Collier). Collier's papers turn out to be at the Ransom Center, right here in Austin. Lurie also writes about John Masefield (The Box of Delights and The Midnight Folk, among others).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home