Sunday, January 08, 2006

"El Nota"

That's what they call The Dude in the Spanish-subtitled version of The Big Lebowski. That's what we did instead of going to the Shostakovich. It was lots more fun and didn't feel like a chore. I can't find "Nota" in any of my slang dictionaries. I think I remember knowing that or "Notah" as a first name of some Navajo men. It's always surprising to be reminded that hardly anybody saw Lebowski in its theatrical release. We loved it and we're surprised to find that we still do, even with its weak points. Goodman is just as good as the nominal star. The dream sequences were great and so was the soundtrack. For that California feeling, I've taken down the three Youngbloods LPs. They played at the Fillmore East a few times, but the one we heard was the program with Iron Butterfly and Canned Heat on the same bill. Maybe it's time to see if that freaky Manhunter is out there for home viewing, which has the best use ever of Inna-Gadda-Da Vida. I've still got my single of Grizzly Bear, which apparently was no more than a local hit, in some places. Too bad there's so much New Mexico red sandstone dust on "Get Together."

1 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, April 11, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

El Nota won't be found in any slang dictionary.

It's a term used almost exclusively in southern spain, seville to be exact. It means, quite literaly, "The Dude".

I love BL, and when I was in Spain for school I discovered that the movie has a huge cult following among young sevillanos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home