Monday, April 10, 2006

FC versus WD

Family Circle is listed first only because that's where it falls in alphabetical order; Woman's Day has just as much to offer. I love them both. I suppose that people who buy one usually buy the other as well; they're so full of information. In retrospect I've never been able to tell them apart, even way back when they cost a nickel at the checkout; that is, it's impossible to remember which mag published what. Family Circle has gone to an uncluttered cover, very Martha-like. Someday, I hope to find a minute to write to both magazines and beg whichever one first published the recipe for Breton chocolate pound cake to feature it again, this wonder that works even at high altitudes, 7,000 feet above sea level and up. Every few years, the recipe card has to be copied because it gets so worn and I'm not to sort who can remember the receipe for anything beyond popovers, pretty much. When we lived in the back of beyond, these magazines were such entertainment. Whichever published the fifty or so designs for little one-seam knitted woolen caps should do that again, also. Someday I'll find the copy that I'm sure I saved. Each design was a chance to try a different pattern, without a great investment of time. We wore a half-dozen or so of these out over the years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home