Saturday, March 12, 2011

Thomas Love Peacock revisited

I've been reading Classics for Pleasure, by Michael Dirda, and the brief commentaries are lots of fun. They can be read aloud to entertain someone who's working. I've read most of the books mentioned, although I have not read H. Rider Haggard. Dirda loves She; most people I've talked to prefer King Solomon's Mines. The book makes me want to return to Thomas Love Peacock. I've read (and own paperback versions of) Nightmare Abbey, Gryll Grange, Headlong Hall, and Crotchet Castle, but that's all. I've never gone back and read them again, but I'm thinking that it's time to do so. I particularly would like to try Maid Marian, which I've never read. Dirda quotes a friar in it as saying:
The world is a stage, and life is a farce, and he that laughs most has most profit of the performance. The worst thing is good enough to be laughed at, though it be good for nothing else; and the best thing, though it be good for something else, is good for nothing better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home