Wednesday, January 22, 2003

Club Desvelado has been loving Paperboy: confessions of a future engineer. This is very lively in the telling and elicits many memories of paper routes, first bicycles, baseball cards, plastic glue-together models, American Flyer versus Lionel issues, and pitching pennies. We also talked about which models we had constructed, and whether they were Aurora or Revell. Aurora's gone, but Revell lives on. I was the kind of kid who did the paint and decal finishing. K. wasn't. I suspect that the ingredients of Testors adhesives are different these days. Although I've read articles excerpted from his books before publication, I'd not realized that Henry Petroski has an Austin connection. I had forgotten that American Flyer was owned by A.C. Gilbert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home