Saturday, June 14, 2003

Pressure drop


When the storm at last arrived, there was really no warning before everything opened up. Leaving the windows and doors in the boys' room until the very last, I went out to the laundry porch. As soon as the window closed, both doors, one closing in one direction, and the other in the other, slammed shut and locked. One could be unlocked from the porch, but the door into the house could not. There I was, rain coming down at about 10 inches per hour, running ankle deep (slight exaggeration) outdoors, lightning showing all around. There was nothing to read, nothing on which to sit but the floor (and down I went, because the lightning was so close to the three windows), no way to read or otherwise pass the time. After 20 minutes or so, the rain lessened and I took a piece of cardboard so I could try to work on the screen door and get in via the boys' room. Just as I was about to give up and retreat to the laundry porch again, I did get in. I was soaked to the skin and had to use three towels to mop up the floor where the rain had been coming into the room while I was locked in and couldn't close it. There were lots of leaves just sucked from the trees. Up and down the street, there were branches down from crape myrtles, pecans, oaks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home