Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Unseen

The August Vanity Fair contains a list of VF's "greatest films of all time." Here are the ones yet and never to be seen: Dumbo, both Godfather movies, Jaws, and Toy Story. Jaws and the Godfather movies hogged countless screens for months at a time. This list of movies is a lot like "classical lite" music, the equivalent of the Blue Danube Waltz multiplied fifty times. And I've never seen the Wizard of Oz in its entirety at one time, merely bits on television, and never in color. I like the music but not the movie. There's nothing wrong with the movies on the list or with the Blue Danube, but there are lots of other potential selections out there.

3 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, August 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice site!

http://bandwidtht1.com

 
At 9:38 PM, August 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rather a sophmoric list, isn't it? Why is Animal House listed twice (2 and 43)? This list looks like something from a college film festival in the late-1970s.

I was never a fan of the Wizard of Oz either until I saw it on the big screen. Much more of an impact, although it's not among my favorite movies. I think television holiday specials during my formative years ruined it for me.

I had also avoided the Godfather films until I met my husband who watches the first two over and over and over. They are much better than I'd expected them to be after all that hype.

 
At 9:39 PM, August 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aarg! Typo! I meant "sophomoric".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home