Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Sesame sez me

Sweetish Hill had a beautiful loaf of bread with one slash along its length and lots of air holes, a bit salty and covered with zillions of the very freshest of sesame seeds. When I think sesame, I think Ali Baba, plus one of the very few cartoons I ever saw as a kid, where somebody (Popeye? yes; Popeye) yells, "Open, sez me!." We also ate a lot of Euphrates wafers, now apparently called Euphrates wheat crackers. I like the Euphrates Wafer origin story. When I was looking for Burry Fudge Cookies, which we always used to buy in Canada, I found an appreciation for them in, of all places, something called the Gamer's Nook, billed as "a journal on life, politics, and gaming." Cookies must come under "life." Speaking of the 1001 Nights, I'd sure like to hear Cole Porter's Aladdin again, especially "Opportunity Knocks But Once (at the Door)" and "Come to the Supermarket in Old Peking." Apparently the recording is becoming a collectors' item.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home