Saturday, November 16, 2002

This is a confession: I bought one box of the Kleenex packaged in star-stamped foil for the holidays and then I had to return to Albertson's the next week and buy one each of the remaining four colors. Green was the color of choice when I planned to make do with just one, but now I have gold, silver, red, and purple! They do make a highly ornamental display. There were other suckers, obviously, since, in the week between the first visit and the second one, a great part of the end-cap display had sold out and I was lucky to find that purple one--not that the stuff costs any more in these packages than in any other, but the usual home-use nose-blowing paper of choice is sold on a spool and is certainly cheaper than the boxed item. This is truth in packaging. I tried to find some marketing reference or press release from Kimberly-Clark about this festive dress for plain old Kleenex, but no luck. Then I just gave up and searched on "foil star." There's a radio-controlled mini-trimaran; sadly, there's an entire web site devoted to little items for musical motivators for children, a Belgian band called Tin Foil Star, many a greeting card, over a hundred different cut-outs for use by caterers and the like as party decorations, including palm trees, horseshoes, hearts, shamrocks, a giant golden dollar sign, a blue Star of David, star-shaped chocolates wrapped in colored foil (intended for party favors), a topper for a Christmas tree, balloons, a three-dimensional seven-pointed star (described as being "the color of auspiciousness" and bringing with it "a promise of purity and sanctity"), and much, much more, but nothing about my beautiful star boxes. One last search, on "Kleenex Expressions holiday," brought me to 3-D star graphics, a "premium graphic." I'm dismayed to learn that I'm missing a color: blue! Does this require a quest? K-C says, "It's almost like having a strong of lights...in a box!" Not quite, but neat, all the same. I suppose that the company manufactures its own packaging. What great wrapping paper this stuff would make!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home