Saturday, March 31, 2007

And I don't even care that much for baseball

Today's WSJ asked former baseball commissioner Fay Vincent to name his five favorite books about the national pastime. I'm astonished to find that I've read three: The Glory of their Times, Highpockets (John R. Tunis), and Veeck as in Wreck. I loved The Glory of Their Times, and so did REH. Of course, I read a lot of Tunis books, because there were a lot of them. I haven't read the particular book named that's about the Black Sox and I don't much like George H. Will writing about anything that I can think of, so Men at Work I haven't read. I used to enjoy the baseball articles of Roger Angell, though (but I enjoyed Audax Minor on racing more). K. and I were just talking this week about the differences between APBA and Strat-O-Matic. Little as I've cared for baseball, if K. mentions a player from a certain era, I usually know with which team he's identified. But I never have been able to say which teams are in the American League and which in the National League.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home